Friday, April 29, 2022

TO EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON...



 I recently went to the Brigham Young University convocation where my outstanding daughter-in-law, Jeanna Nichols received an Executive Master of Business Administration degree.  It was a two-year endeavor on top of her already busy schedule relating to her position with the College of Education at BYU, which also involved some travel here and abroad from time to time to carry out her duties.  I can't imagine the overwhelming course work and classes she had to take on weekends, plus the time it took to work with study groups and project requirements.  Whew!  But Jeanna is talented, very organized, and has vision for all she undertakes.  It was a proud moment for me, as well, to see her recognized for her achievement.

Thinking about this experience brought to mind once again how true the Bible verse is in Ecclesiastes 3, "To everything there is a season...."  Jeanna grew up in predictable ways, went to college, went on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Scotland, got married, had a family, finished her undergraduate work, and performed in a variety of positions along the way until an opportunity came to be employed by Brigham Young University. Then, from their acceptance of her application forward, Jeanna's life blossomed in many diverse ways while she offered her best to whatever assignment she had.  By that time she and my son were empty nesters, having run the full gamut of some of life's cycles.  A lifetime of seasons gone before.

That was also true in my life, and I spent a fair amount of time in the days following Jeanna's convocation thinking about the many seasons in my own life.  Undoubtably there were some difficult times, even some that were literally crushing, but those seasons also included multitudinous blessings which continue to enrich my life way beyond the time I spent in each "season".

Currently I've been in a completely foreign season of my life for the last 20 months since my retirement from United Airlines as a flight attendant.  And I'm not sure I am doing a very good job in this season.  Before, there were clear cut rules, or priorities related to the events I was experiencing or priorities and goals I set for myself for those events.  Now I find my physical ability has diminished in small ways that certainly affect my performance.  I also seem to have lost the ambition and drive to push the envelope and take on some tougher assignments.  In fact, I'm having a hard time accomplishing even the basic routine household duties and some major basement organization.  Sadly, my mantra has become, "There's always tomorrow."

Spring is here and summer is coming....I hope I can get hold of myself and make this "season" one to "remember for the books" in a positive way!

To everything there is a season.  Turn. Turn. Turn...



No comments:

Post a Comment