Thursday, March 31, 2022

A LIGHTER MOMENT....

During the time I was running my own "corporation" at home for 20 years, the FAX machine had become a permanent fixture in the business world.  Though facsimiles transmitted by radio or telephone had been around for some time, few offices actually had FAX machines in the 1960's before I said "Goodbye" to that world.  

By the time I showed up at Data National Corporation in the late 1980's for my new life in the corporate world, the FAX machine had become an important and prominent fixture in every office.  Not only did it provide almost instantaneous connections to relay documents and other important papers, it was a source of wacky cartoons, jokes, serious reflections, and thoughts that were worth that wider exposure.  Kind of like social media is today, but it was never about personal stuff.  Only items that had a broader appeal.

Each morning when we came into work, the fax machine was already full of papers that had been sent during the night.  Most of what showed up was business related, but there were usually one or two items that were not.   

That was where I saw the drawing showing a popular cartoon figure of the time taking a hammer to his computer--a feeling I STILL have when things seem to go berserk with some computer program and I am beyond frustrated!

Some of those faxes were definitely worth saving.  Among them was the quote I often repeat by Silas Deane, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, who said that from that time forward, the 4th of July should be celebrated with pomp, fireworks, and bands playing patriotic music.  Another was a quote about the worth of a woman which I have used in other settings.  

I found that folder from my Data National Days not long ago when I was rooting around in the closet for something else.  Naturally, I had to glance through it and reread some of those thoughts.  This joke made me laugh out loud all over again.  Perhaps you might get a kick out of it, too, a lighter moment for your day.  The subject line was 

A GREAT DEDUCTION:

"Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip.  After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night and went to sleep.  Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend awake.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see." 

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?" Holmes questioned.  Watson pondered for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.  Astrologically, I observed that Saturn is in Leo.  Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three.  Theologically, I can see that a God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant.  Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.  What does it tell you?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke.  "Watson, you idiot.  Someone has stolen our tent!"

HAHAHA!

Have a BEAUTIFUL day!



No comments:

Post a Comment