Friday, June 25, 2021

FIREWORKS!!!!

 No.  Not THAT kind....      

                                                              
   THESE fireworks were of my own making!

I was busy working around the house when I heard the air conditioner turn on.  Uh oh!  I needed to close the windows--and quickly--before we were trying to cool the super temps outside.  Already 85 degrees by 10 AM.

Before I ran upstairs to close the remaining windows and grab some stuff I needed out of one of the closets, I thought I would just pop into the microwave a little baggie with a couple of pieces of left over cornbread I had put into the freezer a couple of weeks prior to that after our Sunday dinner.  TIME:  1 minute.  POWER LEVEL:  #3.  That would make the cornbread a delicious treat just warm enough to melt some butter.  YUM!  I could already taste it.

But in the couple of minutes I was upstairs , I began to smell something burning.  Didn't occur to me that  was the person who had made that happen.  I ran down the stairs in record time to the kitchen.  Through air that was already black and acrid with the smell of burned food and burning plastic, I could see my tasty breakfast was shooting fire inside the microwave.

I won't bore with the gory details of opening the door to the microwave and having a huge billow of smelly smoke come rushing out.  Is all I wanted to do was get rid of that burning mess as quickly as I could.  By then the plastic baggie was melting everything I tried to use to pick up the offending lump of carbon.  Finally I was able to secure it in a bigger bag and streak it out to the garage to the garbage.  

When I came back into the house, I was shocked by the dark smoke AND bad smell I had created because I thought I would just have a quick snack to keep me going for the rest of the morning.  WRONG!!!  

The microwave display showed another 5 plus minutes on DEFROST!  That means my little treat had been in the microwave almost five minutes!  No wonder it caught on fire and caused so much grief for me. I couldn't belive that I had pushed the Defrost button instead of the #3 button right above it which WAS the correct button if I just wanted to have a nice warm snack.

Well that little mistake cost me, that's for sure!  I spent hours airing out the house in 90 degree weather, scrubbing the waxy residue off the microwave, the stove, anything in close poximity to the microwave.  And, I had to do it again the very next day again as by then I could see parts of that residue I had missed the fist time around while trying to clean the mess.

Aftermath is that the kitchen still STINKS!  And that odor lingers in the air as you walk into the back door through the garage or into the front door.  I would imagine that is going to be around for some time.  The smell permeated the curtains, blinds, walls, furniture.  In short--everything!

Bottom line--again...DON'T GET OLD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment