Thursday, November 8, 2018

CHRISTMAS IS COMING....!

Christmas is coming!  And I feel that old familiar aura of holiday anticipation about me, in spite of the fact that this is only the first week in November.  The stores are already completely full of everything Christmas from décor to apparel to decorations to specialty food items.  Some of that stuff has been in the stores since summer--depending on the store and what kind of merchandise it sells. But that was pretty easy to overlook until I went to a Nativity Sneak Peek early this week.

Our northern Colorado book/gift store which carried Latter-day Saint items  recently became an Independent Deseret Book store and changed its name from Moroni Books to Latter-Day Books and Gifts.  It was through the auspices of Deseret Book that this little store held the Nativity event--along with every other Deseret Book affiliate or independent book store across the country.

Even though this is NOT the year I display my beautiful collection  of Nativities, my interest was piqued.  I am always out on a trip when it comes to these kinds of events, but this time I saw that I was going to be in town.  Without thinking, I clicked on the box and requested two FREE tickets.  Maybe Louis and I could slip up to Fort Collins that night after he finished driving.

I was out on my walk a couple of days later when I thought, "Why not invite Cathy Callahan, my all time favorite next door neighbor to go with me?  She could come up here in the late afternoon, we could grab a bite to eat and be at the store by 6:30."  I don't like to drive if I don't have to, so I wasn't sure what her response would be.

It was an enthusiastic, "Yes!"  She had enjoyed my Nativity Festival last Christmas and thought this would be nice.  Though she is Catholic, she is the one who wrote to me what a wonderful tribute my display was to the Lord and how my love of Him  inspired others after seeing the article in the newspaper and visiting my home.  She said I had touched many hearts for the Christmas season and had done what Christ asks of all of us --to share and spread His word and love to His people.  I was glad she was interested in driving up to Johnstown from Arvada, and we made plans.

I hadn't been to the store since its remodel to a Deseret Book affiliate.  Wow!  The location also expanded into the space next to it, and now looks like the real deal.  Instead of a crowded little space with limited inventory, it seemed to have a little bit of everything.  The shelving, the displays, the whole persona was authentic.  You can't tell it from any other DB in the country.  What a transformation!

The Sneak Peek was supposed to showcase 19 NEW Nativity sets, all of which are in the current catalog that arrived in the mail a couple of days later.  There are some really nice large sets.  Some smaller ones, too.  Many of them are part of a Fair Trade kind of thing that assists people in other countries to earn a living selling culturally authentic merchandise.  I have seen similar kinds of initiatives in other online sites and Protestant/Catholic stores which I pop into when I am out on my layovers.

(Side note:  The year-round Christmas store in San Diego closed permanently October 1st.  I was sad about that.  It was always a big impetus to get out and walk there--plus some of my Nativity sets and ornaments came Mistletoe over a period of a dozen years.)

The other night, I allowed myself to purchase a small "paper quill" nativity from Cambodia.  I don't think I have one from there.  I'll put it up this year.  Then it will be a nice addition to my International Table next Christmas.

The new Christmas album from David Archuleta was playing in the background.  I have never paid much attention to him or his singing.  I know he was some kind of winner for American Idol then went on a mission and later sang with the Choir at Temple Square for one of the Christmas concerts.  But, I really liked this music softly wafting through the store.  THAT alone is unusual for me.  I'm pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music.  Only the carols--not Christmas songs.  And either instrumental or sung by a great choir like the Church's.  

So, I took a chance and bought the album, as well as the nativity set.  I listened to it in the car on my next trip to DIA and back.  And I really listened to the words.  Never been keen on "Mary, Do You Know?" and "Immanuel", but his renditions were tender and loving.  The selections he wrote himself are full of gospel principles about Christ and His mission on earth.  Well.....I think I made a good purchase.  I do love Christmas music.

I'm almost sorry this isn't the year I display my nativity collection.  I have the time off, and that little Sneak Peek just whetted my appetite for that wonderful, spiritual uplift in the unique way I choose to celebrate Christmas.  

Make plans to share all that with me next Christmas! 
One child.  One star.  One night.





No comments:

Post a Comment