Friday, September 16, 2016

IMPOSSIBLY AWESOME!

Britty was here visiting recently so we could attend the Fort Collins Temple open house as a family.  (Harold et al came, too.)  Our ward's extra Relief Society meeting (what DO we call that week night meeting now after years of "Enrichment" and other indistinguishable monikers?) was held one of the evenings she was here.  I didn't think she would want to go, so I didn't mention it.  But they had made an announcement while she was in RS--and I was in Primary--and she said she would like to check it out.  Our newly called Relief Society Meeting Coordinator is just younger than I am, and she does stuff "old school"  like really making some fun announcements about what's been planned for the evening.  When she came into Primary she brought a "fairy wand" and asked the kids if their mothers were ever grouchy.  "YES!"  So, she told them to have their moms come to RS for some activities that would help soothe them and make them happier.  That might have been what Britty heard, too.

The theme was about recognizing your individual uniqueness and embracing yourself in positive ways.  The activity was a demonstration of homemade spa items with which to pamper your tired self.  There was also going to be something about different ways to prepare zucchini.  That last part was UGH for me!  But I don't often have an opportunity to attend the monthly RS meeting at night, so off we went. 

It was a short meeting from lesson, through the demonstration of how to make your own hand cream and bath fragrances, until the tasting table with several different zucchini food items including soup--which Britty sampled and declared "pretty good", though she said she was still full from supper.  Then we spent the remainder of the time visiting--which is almost unheard of in Church anymore.  The extra plus--it was all over and we were home by       8:15 PM with samples of homemade soap whose fragrance filled the whole kitchen.

The lesson was a quickie about not letting your "miraculous abilities be overshadowed by the noise of your minor imperfections".  I think it was from some Mormon woman's blog, but there were some fun statements that are worth repeating:

Be--YOU--nique!

Be--YOU--tiful!

Be careful how you talk about yourself because YOU are listening.

And my personal favorite--Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says:  I'm Possible!

The sister that was teaching emphasized that sometimes we don't give ourselves credit for the small things we do that add up to our being AWESOME.  So, she went around the room and asked each of us to tell something that we had done that day which could be considered putting a drop into our AWESOME box.  

Britty and I were sitting on the front row...no time to think of anything special.  So, I blurted out that I went on a walk.  Later I thought that I could have at least said that while on the walk I had the full expanse of the heavens above me which were a glorious manifestation of God's handiwork.  The stars were visible AND spectacular that day before dawn for the first time in weeks because the irrigation around here keeps the sky kind of hazy in the mornings during the summer.  I could have said that I fed baby Pippa while Britty went on a run.  Too bad it wasn't one of the days I wrote a post card to someone. I could have said that.  Oh, well. 

But it did make me start to think again that sometimes I DO do a little here and there to fill my AWESOME box.

So.... I concluded

                 I'm-Possibly Awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment