Monday, January 16, 2023

 A NEW YEAR......



                                                                             

I wrote a Newsletter—THE NICHOLS FAMILY NEWS—for ten years after my kids were grown up and gone.  Just because I wanted to keep in touch and feel closer to them, though I was the one who was doing the reaching out. 

I included notes from my journals about family events like birthdays and experiences we had while we were living away from home for extended periods with my husband’s work in Europe and on the East Coast.  There were also snippets about them currently as they shared what was going on in their lives at the time.  Plus, I sprinkled each issue with humorous or interesting items I had found in newspapers, magazines and even the little TIDBITS rag I used to see at the carwash and at restaurants.

Each January, I wrote a “State of the Family Address”. 

At the beginning of 2007 I wrote that I had recently read an article in the newspaper that suggested what we need to keep our New Year’s resolutions was a phone that talked back to us.  But not in a nice way.  If, for example, you had as one of your resolutions to start a diet, the phone would come on just as you were opening the refrigerator door and say something like, “You big fat slob! How do you think you are going to lose weight if you are always eating?!?!?!”  I guess that is one way to keep you on track.  But before long, I wouldn’t want to be hearing that phone tell me anything!

Then I went on to write in the 2007 “State of the Family Address” that I did kind of like the idea, though, if the nudges and suggestions were more user-friendly. 

My kids’ kids were all young at the time, so I proposed in that Newsletter article that if they had a goal to spend more time with their little people in a meaningful way, maybe they needed a telephone that would give them a call as the evening was moving along to suggest something like, “Only an hour or so more until bedtime.  I’ll bet your kids would love to have you play a short game with them.  Why don’t you turn off the TV and invite them to enjoy some quality time with you?” 

I don’t know what my kids thought of that idea—setting a reminder to spend more time with their kids or a reminder to reach out to someone. As with most everything else, there was no feedback.  But I have often reflected that THAT talking telephone is something which might motivate me—reminder calls that didn’t make me feel like scum for not doing anything toward improving myself physically, mentally, socially, or spiritually.  Some day…

One of the best things about a clean slate at the beginning of each new year is the hope it brings with it.  It’s a great time to think about who you want to be and how you can continue to grow. 

 

Russell M. Nelson, Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, posted a message for the new year the other day with a similar thought which invites us to stretch ourselves and make every day count.  He said:

 

I’m sure many of you are setting aside time today to write down your resolutions for the coming year. May I make a few suggestions?

 

First, resolve to strengthen your spiritual foundation. This may involve setting a specific time and place to study the scriptures, praying more often, making temple worship a bigger priority, and letting God prevail in all aspects of your life.

 

Second, resolve to be kind to others. When the Savior Jesus Christ visited the Americas, as recorded in the Book of Mormon, one of the first things He taught was the need to eliminate contention in our lives. So, please be compassionate, be understanding, be slow to judge, and be quick to forgive.

 

Third, resolve to be resolute. The Lord loves effort. The Lord loves consistency. The Lord loves steadfastness. While we surely will come up short from time to time, our persistent efforts to hear Him and follow the inspiration He gives us will help us to “wax strong in the Spirit” (Mosiah 18:26).

 

May God bless you, my dear friends, and may this be a wonderful year of purpose and possibilities for all of us. 

 

Whatever your goals may be, your own resolutions or embracing one or all of President Nelson’s suggestions, my hope is that this is the year you see them come true!  I invite you to make that happen as I invite myself to do the same.  We’re in this together!

THIS

is the

YEAR

 
                          

·      I will take charge of my life.

·      I will focus on what matters most.


No comments:

Post a Comment