Thursday, June 30, 2022

...and then COVID



Yup!  We had a great vacation, fast-paced as it was--so it was no surprise that just a couple of days after we got home, I began to feel ill.  At first, I thought it was because I was worn down from all the fun we had.  But as more and more of my body felt like I had had a run-in with a MAC truck, the headache was intense, and my eyes hurt even to move them from side to side I started to think maybe I was sick "for reals", like my kids used to say.  

I told Louis that if I didn't feel better by Sunday night (this was Thursday) I would make an appointment and go to the doctor.  He said I was foolish.  If I were sick, I should go to one of the urgent care centers.  No, I like MY doctor.  I said I would wait.  

But by Saturday morning, I was really feeling bad, so I went online to see which urgent care center took my insurance.  Then I got into the car and drove myself there.  Five minute wait and I was talking to the doctor.  Maybe they could give me a strep infection test?  That was the way I felt--like all the times I've had strep infection over the years.  Okay.  And we'll do a COVID test, too.

Well, the strep test was negative.  The COVID test was not.  I had COVID.  A whole different sickness than when I had it in January 2020 before all the hoopla and the quarantines and the pandemic.  Whole different way my body reacted.  So, I spent the next few days in bed or on top of the bed resting.  Yet, I could not sleep day OR night, and I felt like I was going to go crazy from lack of sleep.  

Soon, though, I was up and about and even went out after the proper time period the CDC now recommends.  Although I still don't feel 100% like I do when I am totally well, I am trying to get back on track after the hiatus of routine during my heart procedure just prior to our trip to Savannah and then being sick for several days after we returned home.

Someone asked me where I thought I might have contracted COVID.  Well...let's see 
  • six flights
  • four major airports
  • two graduations
  • hundreds of people 
It's anyone's guess.  I'm sure somewhere in all of that there was probably someone who passed the virus to me.  It's okay.  I got it.  I got over it.  This time it was more like a bad case of the flu.  I'm sure there will be more bouts of the "flu" before I come to the end.

But sometimes, it's kind of nice not being expected to do anything, to be productive, to contribute.  We all need a rest like that at some time once in a while.  This was my time.  

BUT I'M GLAD IT'S OVER...
                    CORONA VIRUS

No comments:

Post a Comment