Tuesday, October 13, 2020

BALANCING ACT...

 
Several years ago when I split my exercise routine and began doing some exercises in the evening and some in the morning I noticed, that unless I had already walked my 3.5 mile distance, it was difficult to do the balance exercises without falling to one side or the other.  Apparently, walking for an hour gave me the added stability I needed to balance perfectly--which so many health care people who have waited on me have lauded.  Here I am a woman well into her 7th decade and still able to balance perfectly--given the right conditions.

Then I retired.  I began doing the morning exercise routine as soon as I got up.  And, to mitigate the impact on Louis who might still be in bed sleeping, I started doing those exercises in the closet with the door closed.   I still had trouble balancing most of the time because I had yet to go outside to walk. But when I started staring at a specific spot on that wall behind the closet door, no problems whatsoever.  I can balance perfectly every time.

Voila!   And here is the reason.

Louis' tie rack is right behind the closet door.  And that spot on the wall I stare at is one of his Christmas ties with a simple line drawing of the Nativity with Baby Jesus in the stable.  Now Louis has dozens of ties, and they are in various attitudes hanging over the rack.  Some fronts are visible, some of the short ends have stretched themselves into only long tails, and most are piled on top of each other without even being visible.  But that one special tie, keeps my focus on the task at hand--balancing.

I've thought about that a lot.  It's like life.  When I focus on the Savior, my life stays pretty balanced.  Obedience to His teachings keeps me on an even keel without dipping from one side to the other depending on what is going on at the time.   I feel like I am in control despite some challenges that seem never to go away.  

It's as simple as that.  Keep your eye on Jesus Christ and His Atonement in order to navigate through good times and bad.  That is the ultimate....

BALANCING ACT!


No comments:

Post a Comment