Sunday, May 31, 2020

THEY DIDN'T EVEN WAIT UNTIL I DIED....

OLD PEOPLE--READY TO DIE

For the past three or four years when I have received my latest General Conference CD's in the mail, I have also received either an accompanying email or phone call from Church Distribution.  (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).  They want to know if I am AWARE that there are other options to listen to General Conference without having to use a CD player.  YES, I am!  But I am now a septuagenarian and am in my car an inordinate amount of time as I drive to Denver International Airport and back for my job as a flight attendant with United Airlines.  It is soooo much easier to just slip a CD into my car's entertainment system while I am driving so I can hear the latest  messages from the prophets --or even former messages since I have all the General conference CD's in a box in my car all the way from 2003.  So, please, please continue to produce these important CD's.  I don't want to have to download anything or mess with technology I know is out there but which I'm not savvy about.  Then I always end the communication with this statement:  "I know you are just waiting for people like me to die."  Sometimes they chuckle....

I use the same statement when I am at work and there is MORE new technology we have to master just to do our jobs--a meal app, an unaccompanied minor app, a reimbursement account, even yearly requalification.  Please just let the world go on the way it was until I check out.

At United there is usually some kindly YOUNGER person who pooh-poohs my observation by telling me I am SO much better than a lot of senior people they've flown with who are still using the announcement book (because they have the whole demo memorized) instead of our hand held version.  It's a dead give-away  even to me because those "standard" announcements leave out all the new stuff that has been added over the past few years.  And, they continue, those people don't even have a clue how to access anything!

Still, I knew there was going to come a day that things changed.  And I was right.

When my April General Conference CD's came in the mail the other day, there was also a notice in the packet that said the General Conference CD's and DVD's will be discontinued after 2020.  Wah!  That means I have only one more Conference that I can listen to in my car by slipping a CD into the car player.  And then, I will have to belly up to the modern technology bar and find out how to use an MP3 or download the broadcast to WHEREVER or WHATEVER format I'll need to be "hip". 

Can do, I guess.  I got this far.  I remember when Schuyler used to tell me "Good job, Momma!" when I learned how to run the check acceptance machine at King Soopers' check out stand.  That was years ago when he was just a little kid.

Frankly, I don't think I'm ready for all this jazz.  And there must be more people like me out there because  I am amazed at all the "old" stuff I can get on YouTube.  Somebody remembers how life used to be before it got complicated.  Looking back, it's astonishing I was even able to move into the world of CD's to begin with after growing up first with 78 speed breakable records, then 45's, then vinyl 33 lp's.

Bottom line...the world is moving forward.

And they didn't even wait until I died!

No comments:

Post a Comment