Sunday, March 29, 2020

SECOND CHANCES




Have you ever been out and about doing your errands or walking or running—or doing anything—and have an encounter with someone, but instead of greeting them or starting up a conversation or saying something friendly you treat them “Swedish”?

Let me explain what I mean. 

When we lived in Sweden years ago, it was disheartening to pass someone while walking down the street or standing in line at the grocery store or waiting for a bus and the person next to me would drop their eyes, look the other direction, and act like I wasn’t even there. I thought it was because I was an American.

Our next-door neighbor Bigitta told me one day not to think anything of it.  That’s just how Swedish people are out in public.  In fact, she said, that where she came from around Stockholm that the people there were even MORE dour and unfriendly, if you could believe it.  (We lived in the southern part of Sweden across from Copenhagen.)

So, when I find myself face to face with someone, and I don’t even nod a greeting or I’m in a conversation with someone and don’t act on an impulse to say a certain thing that pops into my head, l invariably think later, “I shouldn’t have been “Swedish”.  I could have at least said ‘such and such’”.  Then I get after myself and remorsefully wish I had a chance at that encounter all over again so I could act differently.  What would it hurt to be the first one to look the person in the eye and say, “Hello!”  Or share a conviction I have from a personal experience.  Nothing!

Well, that happened today while I was delivering notes to the dozen women on my “ministering letter list”.  The first six were in my neighborhood so I walked while I delivered them.  The rest were across Highway 60, and I drove to their houses. 

I was in the very off-beaten area just south of County Road 44 that I think was supposed to be exclusive to the rest of Johnstown.  But the neighborhood didn’t develop that way after the initial beginning over 25 years ago.  Except for a few really nice houses on larger lots, the rest are a hodge-podge of single homes in a variety of styles surrounded by broken fences and rusted-out cars.  There are a few with horse sheds and the requisite one or two horses in a corral to fill them. But there is no order to any of it.  I’m always glad when this delivery is over during the times I take things to my sisters.

Today I arrived at my destination and found an AMAZON Prime delivery truck blocking the driveway.  Instead of waiting for it to leave so I could drive into the yard where the house is, I decided to get out of the car and walk.  In doing so, I came face to face with the delivery man—and said NOTHING!  He got into his truck and left.  I left my note on Chrisanne’s door and walked back to my car, all the while berating myself for not even saying hello as the guy and I nearly brushed shoulders. 

I kept saying to myself, “Why, why, why?  It would have been so easy to just open your mouth.” 

As I was driving down the winding lane to access the main road out of Northmoor, I suddenly saw the AMAZON Prime van just a few blocks ahead turn right into another cul-de-sac of houses.  I followed him and stopped out in the street.  After he had extracted the big box he was about to deliver and came around the back of the van to walk up the driveway, I called out.

“Just because we are social distancing, I didn’t mean to be rude!  The least I could have done was say, “Hello!”  His face broke out into a big smile.  “Thank you! And “hello” to you, too.  Have a good day.” 

That’s all it took.  It was as simple as that.  I had been granted another opportunity to connect.  My whole outlook changed, and the afternoon was sunny once again.

Most often, because of my shyness or my thinking that the other person doesn’t care anyway, those opportunities are there and gone with no reprieve, .
Yet I have believed for years that there is a great deal of orchestration that goes on behind the scenes.  I also believe that my job is to be in tune so I can act on the promptings I receive.  But I don’t always come through on my end.

So, thank you, Lord, for giving me that second chance today…. 



No comments:

Post a Comment