Monday, March 16, 2020

ON A ROLL....

Had a 6 pm check in at DIA the other day.  That's not the best time of the day to be driving down      I-25, so I decided to leave a little early.  Sure enough, there was a delay somewhere after the Longmont exit, but the "parking lot" that had ensued after an accident on the NORTHBOUND lanes (those Rubber-neckers who slow down to check it out)made the delay only about 20 minutes.  So, I arrived at the domicile before my show-time with over half an hour to spare.  I decided to check out the "news", a screen that runs a continuous loop of flight attendant anniversaries and other recognitions--like MY Top Flight Award which I wrote about last month.

I stood there for several minutes and still didn't see the group picture of me and my crew and all the supervisors who had come to the gate on Valentine's Day to present me with the Top Flight Award for the quarter.  Glancing at the clock on the wall, I saw that I could stand there for another few minutes and see if  it happened to be in THAT batch of United News in Denver.  Right then Blake, the supervisor who actually presented me the award last month asked me what I was doing.  "Checking out the news."  Didn't exactly want to say out loud that I was looking for a visual of my claim to fame.

At the same time, Erin Holland who is my personal supervisor came up and told me she had something for me.  Did I have time?  "Sure," always have time for "something for me..."  Then she presented me with an identical blue United gift bag with the same blue and yellow, and white tissue paper, the same trappings as the last surprise was duded up .

"Congratulations!"  they said.  I was confused,to say the least.  I had just looked at the Base Supervisor's monthly report when I was on the bus.  I was listed as having received an award, but instead of the Top Flight award, the copy on the article said I had received the UNITED 100 Award, and had been selected as the top winner from Denver for all of 2019.  I was invited to the presentation dinner to be sometime in April and was welcome to bring a guest with me for the festivities--husband or someone else.  AND, my name would be painted along with the others' names on the outside of a specially painted aircraft.  (Don't know that I've ever even seen one of these planes. And what do they look like?) 

Then Blake said, "Your husband is REALLY going to be proud of you now.!"

But what about the other award?  "Oh, you got that, too!"  I was still confused, as NO WHERE does any list or buzz feed or anything say I got the Top Flight Award.  My picture isn't with that group, and my name isn't even listed.

Oh, well.  One award or two.  Doesn't matter anyway because all "Thank You!"  celebrations in Chicago have been CANCELLED.  Not POSTPONED...CANCELLED!  What are the odds of that?  Been at United 20 years.  In all that time I've received a couple of notices from passengers that I did something special.  Not NOTEWORTHY, but special enough to put pen to paper.  But the ONE time I actually shine--well, no one is going to know. How's THAT for humility!

The award is kind of cool, though.  It's one of those laser engraved ones.  I put it on a black background to better see the inscription.

Actually the skies have been kind of friendly lately, what with these two recognitions.  Some flight attendants might not have received something like this at all.  My outlook about having to stick around for another year is slowly improving

Sooooo, I am kind of thinking of this event as a "Rhapsody in Blue" instead of a two-fingered "Chopsticks".  HAHAH!

Play on....










No comments:

Post a Comment