Wednesday, December 25, 2019

LIGHT THE WORLD!

Today is Christmas Day!

In all the years I have worked for United Airlines, I have only had just a couple of Christmas Days that I was at home.  The rest of the time I was flying by myself, or Louis was able to come with me.  We've had some good times doing that.  But when I have been by myself, it hardly seems like Christmas Day at all.

When I got my schedule for December this year and saw that I had BOTH Christmas Eve day and Christmas Day off, I decided I would keep what I had been assigned, even though it meant no holiday pay.  I really looked forward to having a "normal" Christmas.  The only trouble is....I don't know what a normal Christmas is anymore with no kids at home to plan for and prepare with all the fun--and sometimes stressful--activities we used to have while they were growing up.  And, I didn't put up my Nativity collection this year and invite friends and neighbors to an open house to share in that very special feeling of Christ's birth.  So, there wasn't that to keep me grounded.

Add to that a whole different set of Christmas "rules" in Louis' family than I had in mine.  There was bound to be some clashes over how we opened presents, planned the day, what we had to eat, etc.

It so happened on this Christmas Day Burgandy and her two teenaged boys were with us.  Most of the presents under the tree were for their own Christmas with a couple of presents for me and Louis from my kids, our Ministering brother and his wife, and a friend at my work.

Then we had a "different" dinner.   That wasn't like Christmas either.

But...we had a great activity to fill the afternoon which really made up for a day that seemed just a little bit off-kilter to begin with.  We drove to Writer's Square in downtown Denver to "buy" some charity at the LIGHT THE WORLD Giving Machines that are in Denver this year.  Denver is just one of 10 locations around the world that have these vending machines, and we wanted to take advantage of that unusual opportunity.  Especially to give Orion and Briggs an opportunity to help disadvantaged people.

The full-time missionaries--without name tags--take three-hour turns from their regular assignments assisting visitors and answering any questions they have.  I asked how the machines were doing with the goal which had been set at $500,000.00.  It has been met and exceeded!  Plus, there is still one more week that the Giving Machines will be here.

What a lot of great good is being generated!  I believe people WANT to do something for those less fortunate here and in other countries but might not be sure how to do it, particularly if they don't have a lot of money to give.  The "gifts" started at $3.00 and ranged all the way into the hundreds of dollars.  It's the widow's mite all over again.  One small amount added to others' small amounts turn into something great.

On this special Christmas Day, we were able to LIGHT THE WORLD with bus passes, chickens, and school supplies.  They sound like great presents to me!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO SOME SPECIAL SOMEONES!

Here we are at Writer's Square ready to buy some charity...Burgandy and Briggs are getting ready       to push the choice button.  (I look mad, but I wasn't.  Inside I was happy!)







No comments:

Post a Comment