Wednesday, October 23, 2019

NOT ALL CARDS ARE CREATED EQUAL...





NOT   EITHER / OR


                  
            You may or may not know that when flight crews go through security checkpoints in airports, the government now has a program that is called "Known Crew Member" which expedites that necessary process.  Each pilot and flight attendant had to fill out paperwork and make application to receive a special badge in order to pass into secure areas of any airport without having to go through the regular TSA lines for passengers.  


This was a real boon for everyone, and even though I am often the "random" number person to go through the same set-up as the passengers start to finish--as some kind of control, I guess--the majority of the time it saves a LOT of hassle on my way to the plane at the beginning of each work day.


In addition to scanning the TSA issued card with our unique Known Crew Member number on it. we have to present a second government issued identification to complete the scan.  Most flight crews use their passports.  But my passport is in the bowels of my work bag, so I use my driver's license because it's easier to get to and if I'm in a hurry and don't get it put back and for some reason it gets lost--well, a driver's license is less expensive to replace.  


So.... a few weeks ago I asked Louis to take me to DIA which means that I have to go through KCM in the main terminal instead of the employee terminal where we catch the employee bus out by the rental car companies along Pena Boulevard.


He pulled up to door 612 on the West side, I jumped out, grabbed my bags and dashed to the escalators which lead right to the secure door for KCM.  The TSA guy let me in.  My KCM badge is also on my lanyard, so I scanned it and handed my driver's license to the worker.  He just looked at me.  I thought maybe it hadn't scanned properly, so I blipped the KCM badge under the red laser once again.  


When the worker said, "I'm sorry I can't take that," my mind jumped ahead thinking I had passed the deadline for renewing my badges.  No.  It was still 90 days before my birthday.  What could possibly be wrong!  I began to panic.  How was I going to get through security and get to my briefing and flight?


Then I looked down at the card in my hand.  Instead of my Colorado driver's license, it was my debit card that I use for all purchases I make.  "Whoops!"   I confessed that was a pretty good indication that I pull that credit card out WAAAAAY too often.


We both laughed as I traded it with my driver's license.  And I was soon on my way down to the train to begin yet another day in my life at United Airlines.


So far I haven't made the same mistake at the temple, pulling out my credit card instead of my temple recommend.  But you can be sure I'm a little more careful now because I know....


NOT ALL CARDS ARE CREATED EQUAL !      




No comments:

Post a Comment