Tuesday, September 24, 2019

DEMOLITION DERBY


 a.k.a.  LOTS OF CAR TROUBLE!



A couple of months ago, Louis' car began making a funny clicking noise and did a little jerk just about when he got to 12 mph.  He took it in and the mechanic said the computer was out of whack.  They reset the computer and said it would be good to go.  Ninety bucks.....but worth the peace of mind.

Personally, I thought that one day Louis would be driving along and the transmission would just fall to the road.  So, I was relieved that "the fix" was so easy and not so expensive.

But I was wrong.  After a few days the sound was back.  That was about the time Louis was leaving to go to Omaha to work for Werner Transportation once again.  We could shelve the problem.  However, when he returned after a very unhappy outcome with Werner, he figured he could just drive LYFT while he was searching for a new job.

NOT!  That didn't work out either.  The transmission--and oh, by the way the brakes--would have to be replaced.  There were almost 200,000 miles on his car from using it for LYFT.  Of course the parts were worn.  To be expected.  

I was thinking $5000.00.  Fortunately, only $3200.00.  And instead of having the car dealership replace the brakes, too, Louis said he could do that himself and save a couple hundred using his own labor.

So, the car went into the shop for the transmission fix.  Can't drive for LYFT because his rental car wasn't registered or approved by the company.  Lots of available time then because of that, which could be devoted to reorganizing files in our home office, getting the quarterly taxes squared away, etc.  Louis started with his "home" project.

A week later close to midnight on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, I came home from my trip to find Louis' car in its regular spot in the garage sparkling clean inside and out awaiting the brakes replacement.  It was the last step in the process so Louis could begin making money driving for LYFT again.   He planned to do that job on the morning of Labor Day.

Louis "labored" all day while I enjoyed my first Labor Day holiday at home in years.  Later Brice, Judy, and Cameron came up to join us for an early afternoon  lunch.  Louis stopped his repair job long enough to join us for the picnic spread then went back out to the garage to finish the job.
The Colorado Nichols  had arrived before Burgandy got home from breakfast with her friend Jenny.  They parked in front of the house where Burgandy parks, so she parked across the street opposite the driveway.  In the meantime I had been to the store and also parked in front of the house.  However, discovering that he needed a missing bolt for something or other, Louis took my car to the hardware store then parked it ON the driveway while his car was still inside the garage waiting for the final bolt--literally.  

By that time Brice, Judy, and Cameron had gone home.  I cleaned up the rest of the meal and went outside to enjoy my lovely patio get-away.  The neighbor to the north had been mowing his lawn, so when I heard a huge bang, I thought maybe it had to do with his lawn mower.  

The next thing I knew, Louis was in the backyard.  "You can hate me, shoot me, be mad at me for the rest of your life.  I deserve it.   I'm sorry but I wrecked the car--and hit Burgandy's truck (also parked on the driveway) and her car (still parked across the street)."

I went out the side gate to the front of the house.  So THAT was the bang I had heard!  BIG WHOOPS!

Louis said he got into his car with the express purpose to pump the brakes and get the brake fluid into the working parts.  But, at the same time, he mentally told himself to be careful not to hit my car.  Forgetting the first purpose to finish the brake job by pumping the brakes, he put his car into gear and literally shot out of the garage.

Along the way as he picked up momentum with no way to stop, he crunched the left rear of his car and totally crushed the left front as it tore off the bumper of both his car AND Burgandy's truck before T-boning Burgandy's car which was still parked across the street.

Oh, what a sorry sight!  I could see dollar signs floating before my eyes as I surveyed the damage and realized the magnitude of three cars now needing major body work.  No wonder I had heard such a loud bang!

Well, nothing to do about it but call the Insurance company and get the ball rolling.  However, instead of calling our agent, Louis called the 800-number.  Let THAT be a lesson to you....don't!  Get to the agent ASAP.  That detour to the 800-number cost about three extra days.

Burgandy was apprehensive that they would total her car--and her truck, which for anyone who knows, it is her first "baby".  Not going to let it go!

I'd like to say all's well that ends well.  But that would be jumping the gun.  I THINK it is going to turn out okay.  Repair facilities have been located, assessment of the damages has all been done, appointments made for the repairs, cars AND truck have finally gone to the auto body shops, and Burgandy and Louis are driving around in rental cars.

However, there is still at least another week before the cars are going to be completely repaired.  More damage found on inspection and lengthy waits for parts to arrive.  Nothing to do about that but cool our heels.  Chomping at the bit won't make it happen any faster.

So, why not fix my Momma G Mafia car, too...  I went out to drive my Mitsubishi Eclypse down to Johnstown last month and the clutch went straight to the floor.  DRAT!  This was BEFORE the demolition derby on Labor Day.  I thought, no money to fix the car now.  Phone estimates since I couldn't even drive the car to the repair shop ranged from  $1100 to $2000.  My conclusion: It will just have to sit in the garage for awhile.

Then, after all that other happened, I told Louis  we might as well see what could be done about getting my white car up and running, too.  I left for DIA.  

Following
my request, Louis called the local repair shop in Johnstown across from Hays Market.  They came and towed the car, fixed the clutch and a couple of other things that were also broken like a tie rod, I think, and charged $812 which seemed doable after the hefty estimates over the phone and three vehicles needing body work to the tune of THOUSANDS of dollars.  He even walked down to Johnstown to pick it up and drive it home when the repairs were complete.  All that got done before I came home from my trip that week.  Yes!  At least that was going right!

Though it wasn't very funny when the Demolition Derby happened, even now we can look back and laugh at what a comedy of errors we experienced on Labor Day.  Just the visual alone is comedic as you imagine in your mind this car whizzing out of the garage, side-swiping a truck to avoid hitting the car opposite and coming to rest with its bumper couched in the driver's side door of a parked car across the street--just exactly in line with the driveway.  Whew!!  And....no one got hurt!  That is very important, too.

I couldn't help but think of that Brian Regan routine where he does a monologue about talk show hosts who always interviewed Evil Knievel about that one awful crash he had. "So, what were you thinking, Evil, as you crashed after that jump?"  

And Brian Regan's idea: "Let me see now, I was thinking, 'Did I turn off the iron?'  Yes.  I'm sure that was what I was thinking."

So, tell me, Louis, what was going through your head during that wild ride before you heard the BANG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment