Tuesday, June 18, 2019

WEDDING PARTY..

I was three and a half years old in June of 1949.   My sister Marie was engaged to be married to Keith Eyre and had chosen the "new" Idaho Falls Temple for their wedding on June 17, 1949.  I suppose like most every young woman, she wanted to be married in  the latest, greatest temple.

The Idaho Falls Temple was the tenth constructed and eighth operating temple of the Church, and the first temple built with a modern single-spire design.  It was announced on March 3, 1937, and the exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941.  The interior was expected to be completed the following year.  However, with the shortages of materials and work force brought on by the United States' entry into World War II, the temple completion was delayed for four more years.  President George Albert Smith finally dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple September 23, 1945, just one month after the war ended.  The Bern Switzerland Temple wasn't dedicated until 1955, so the Idaho Falls Temple was "new" for quite a long time.

Marie was only 17, going to turn 18 in September.  Petite five foot two with large brown eyes, she  looked like a little girl, even to me, when she stood next to twenty-two year old Keith who was a slender six foot four.  

Though I was a pretty small kid, I have very vivid recollections of Marie's wedding.  We drove from Rawlins to Idaho Falls in our 1940's something Ford.  I assume it was my parents, me--and Marie.  Did Marcia and Glenda go to the wedding in Idaho, too?  If so, they had to have been in the car with us that memorable trip.  Keith went up separately.  With his parents?  Alone?  Don't know except that he had his car there so they could honeymoon at Yellowstone and the Black Hills after they were married.

On the way over land that my dad was very familiar with from his sheep herding days, we drove to Alpine and then near the Gray's River which straddles the border between Idaho and Wyoming.  There must have been some rainstorm activity in the area--probably a lot, as the Gray's River overflowed its banks--and we were unable to continue our journey because of flooding.

It was June in the upper altitudes of Wyoming, and I don't imagine it was a balmy night.  Besides, cars then didn't come equipped with heaters so we probably huddled together under some blankets.  We always had one with us in the car--hence the term "car blanket".  But ours were probably an old quilt or two which were no  longer serviceable for the bed.  

I remember it was cramped in the car, no stretching out.  Though as a little kid I more than likely didn't have as bad an overnight experience as the others did as far as sleep was concerned.  The big discomfort for me was having to use a tin can when we had to go to the bathroom.  That was gross!

Did it rain all night?  Was the road washed out?  Don't know.  But I do know I wasn't afraid.  My dad was there.  Uncomfortable as this disruption was to our plans, I knew all would be well.

And it was.  When morning arrived so did the forest rangers.  They came checking the area to assist any people stranded out in the wilderness and unable to continue their trip because of damage to the road.  And here is the best part--they took us to the Ranger Station and fed us breakfast!  No wonder I love pancakes!    Don't have a clue what it took to get us on the move again.  I didn't have to worry about anything like that.  

So my next memory was being at the Idaho Falls Temple for Marie and Keith's wedding.  

I was dressed in my Sunday best with a matching teal blue coat for the occasion.  While the grownups were in the temple for all of the sacred ceremonies before the Sealing at noon, I was ensconced in the Nursery.  That would never happen today for kids just along with the bridal party and not part OF the party there for the special uniting of a new family.     

Most photographs then were black and white, but the photographic memories of Marie's wedding were in colorful Kodak snapshots.  Apparently, I had broken free of whomever was in charge of me because I was standing with the bride and groom and both sets of parents with the temple in the background in the official Wedding Photograph after the temple ceremony on the beautifully manicured expanse of a lawn, where we eventually joined the rest of the family and guests for pictures and congratulations all around.

It is clear from reading newspaper articles in family history books that there was a wedding reception in Rawlins the following week, but I don't remember a thing about that.  The society page article in the Rawlins Daily Times dated Tuesday June 21, 1949, revealed that Marie was wearing a white slipper satin bridal gown fashioned with long sleeves and accented by a wide bertha with a marquisette yoke (WHATEVER THAT WAS!).  The gown was completed with a shoulder length veil.  AND...that the bride's traveling costume was an aqua colored suit with white accessories and a white carnation corsage.

This occasion was a standout for me on many different levels.  So, as I thought about the date when I got up yesterday morning, the 17th of June registered with this great experience of my young life.

Seventy years!  Doesn't seem like it is that long of a time ago.....yet it is practically my whole lifetime.  






No comments:

Post a Comment