Sunday, June 30, 2019

STANDING UP....

Last week in our Come Follow Me study, we reviewed in all four of the Gospels some lessons from Pilate's experience with Christ about standing up for what we know is right.

First, Pilate's wife told him to have nothing to do with this situation.  She had had a dream and knew of herself that Jesus was innocent.  Pilate also knew Jesus Christ was innocent of the crimes that the Jews tried to charge Him with.  He gave the crowd of people, who by now had been agitated by rabble rousers spurred by the ruling Jewish leaders, an opportunity more than once to let Jesus go.  It was not lost on Pilate that the people were only demanding Jesus die because basically they were jealous of Him and His popularity with they people.  THEY were the rulers.  THEY would call the shots.  And Christ was inconvenient to have around.

It would have been so easy for Pilate to just do the right thing.  But.... for Pilate these are some of the things that were important to him and therefore he didn't take a stand for the right
.
    1--His Roman background because he asked Christ, "What is truth?"  He was a relativist.  Truth is whatever is happening at the moment.  Almost persuaded, but not sure to believe the spirit he must have felt.  Much of this was ingrained in him from early boyhood, I would imagine.

    2--His Roman leadership position.  He was one of the leaders chosen by valor, influence, appointment, merit....whatever... to rule on some gubernatorial level in Jerusalem at this time.  He was afraid of losing face with the Romans if he let Jesus go and there was an uprising of the local populace against his judgement.  He was afraid the Jews WOULD stage an uprising if he didn't let them have Barabas.  So, the only answer for him was to symbolically wash his hands "of this innocent man".  He opted out.  Didn't stand for what he knew was right.

Why am I retelling my version of Christ's story?

Last Friday when I opened up the Book of Mormon  in the Philadelphia Marriott Courtyard where we stay, I was shocked to see scribbled on the title page a nasty note which said, "BLESSED BE!  THE GODDESS IS ALIVE AND MAGIC IS AFOOT!"

It stunned me, and I found myself shaking in some kind of distress and with anger for this desecration to such a miraculous book.  My first impulse was to tear out the page and destroy it.  There was still a blank second page to write my testimony.  So, I did.  Both things.

Later that day when we were on the  plane --a sixteen hour delayed flight to Chicago and a radical change to our own schedule--we were waiting for some catering glitch to get taken care of so we could push back.

My phone dinged.  I clicked on the text icon to see who was sending me a message.  Another shock.

"Hi.  I just came across a Book of Mormon at a hotel that I am working at and wanted to let you know that it is against the law to deface property that doesn't belong to you."

I checked the area code.  It was from Louisiana.  Only we don't stay at a Marriott hotel of ANY brand in New Orleans, which is the only airport we fly into on Mainline.  We stay at a Hilton Hotel both at the airport and downtown.  So, this person must have gone somewhere else to work.

It could be anywhere, as I write my testimony signed with Georgia Nichols, Johnstown, Colorado, 303-918-1127 in EVERY Marriott branded hotel where we stay, and I have found a complimentary copy of the Book of Mormon in the nightstand drawer.

We were a long time sitting there on the ground waiting for the catering glitch to get resolved.  The whole time I was wondering what I should do.  Write a nasty reply.  Ignore it.  Argue the  the Book of Mormon....   What?

I found myself thinking about those last hours Christ spent in Jerusalem, suffering the indignities of the people who mocked Him, scoffed at Him, and spit on Him.  Charged with crimes he was innocent of, still he maintained His majesty and taught us all how we should act.  He was acting then as He had taught all during His earthly ministry by example.  Be true.  Stand up for what is right.  Don't get caught up with what the opposition is throwing at you.

I then formulated my reply by text and wrote to this unknown person.

"Hi.  Thank your for your message.  But those books are complimentary copies meant for the guests.

I left my testimony of the book's veracity and truthfulness for someone else who would like to take the copy and read it.  Someone who is seeking for truth.  And for a witness that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.

And it wasn't defaced.  Defacing is scribbling and making rude, derogatory comments.

Mine was  a thoughtful invitation to read the Book of Mormon and lift your life.

I'm sorry you were offended.

Georgia Nichols"

One of my friends in the ward once asked me if I weren't afraid to put my name and phone number with my testimony.  I told her, "no".  I felt like my personal information gave credence to what I said.  It wasn't just some anonymous comments.  It was a testimony of something I know is true.  It was through my name and number that two people have contacted me in a positive way about finding my testimony in the Book of Mormon in their Marriott Hotel room in Calgary and Omaha.

I felt good.  The words I texted were an inspired message of love and invitation which I hope are pondered and taken to heart--perhaps first out of curiosity, then out of  desire to know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.

Best of all was the feeling that I had stood up for something right!

Implementing a lesson to make a difference in our life...isn't THAT what Come Follow Me is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment