Friday, August 31, 2018

JUBILEE CELEBRATION!

Today is August 31, 2018.   Fifty years since I arrived in Denver, Colorado, to make a new life following my May graduation from Brigham Young University.

It is a red letter day in my history, as it is the eventful instance I packed up my 1961 black Ford Fairlane with a broken TV Beth had given me at college, the wooden ironing board purchased at the Near-New Store in Rawlins and repaired by my dad before I left for college , and the few household goods I had used at BYU--plus my clothes--and backed out of the driveway of my home in Rawlins while it was still the gray of early morning dawn.  

When I stood at the door of my dad's bedroom a few minutes before, he had asked me if I needed money.  "No."  I had $300.  That sounded like enough to start a new life.  Then I said goodbye to my parents--HATED goodbyes and had tried to get out without that formality--and bawled all  the way to Fort Collins.  But, as the sun rose my heart looked toward a bright future.  And I literally NEVER looked back.
  
Well, I have previously documented that occasion in the Nichols Family Newsletter and the days following as I found, not only a full-time job at a research library, but also my future husband at a church meeting two weeks after I arrived in  Denver.  

Life couldn't get any better than that.  There was no way but UP!

And, today I celebrate the outstanding 50 years that have held both triumph and sorrow here in my adopted home of Colorado.

On a parallel note, I also celebrate the closing of our Nichols Family home at 7328 Secrest Court in unincorporated Jefferson County on this day in 1979.  What memories I have of those nearly 25 years, as well!

So, here's to one of the best jubilee celebrations I will ever have!  If you have any memories of being with me during these last 50 years, celebrate with me as you reminisce those occasions as well.

I'm looking forward to more years of a wonderful life full of blessings to exceed any imagination.

Happy 50th to the partnership of  Colorado and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment