Sunday, October 19, 2014

EXECUTE WITH EXCELLENCE!

Had a 20 hour layover in Tampa for the first time in my United career.  Instead of staying near the airport, we were transported to the Hilton Bayshore Hotel in St. Petersburg, about a 30 minute drive away from where we usually stay.  I knew about this long layover when I got my schedule for October last month.  I was bummed that I was scheduled to fly today and next weekend, too, but I was happy that for both Sundays I was slated to be here long enough that I could go to Church.

I looked at the Church's website to find the nearest ward and proceeded to contact the bishop whose name is Todd Bangerter.  I told him that I would be here and wondered if there were someone I could contact about getting me a ride to the meetings.   He said he would find someone, and soon texted me the name of the person who would pick me up and make sure I got back to my hotel.  I asked if he were related to the Utah Bangerters.  It turns out he is cousins to Grant and Jerry Bangerter and their son Grant was his college roommate.  Small world.

I haven't changed any--still writing notes of what the speakers had to say.  It was High Council Sunday.  The high councilor had grown up in Colorado.  He was a great speaker--funny, engaging, dynamic, and full of the spirit as he conveyed the stake president's love and challenge for the stake, as well as testifying of the gospel priniciples in Elder Oaks recent conference address.  

However, he said one thing that will stick with me for a long time.  Execute with excellence!  Going beyond doing just the basic of whatever your endeavor will MORE than magnify your efforts and your blessings.  If you are supposed to supply a casserole, bring it with enthusiasm.  If you're assigned to clean up, be happy while you're doing it, etc.  You get the picture.  

I delight in mini-sermons.  EXECUTE WITH EXCELLENCE! is a pithy little statement that will soon take its place as one of my favorites.

Try it on for size in your little corner of the world and notice if you see a difference in whatever it is you're doing.  I think you will....

3 comments:

  1. You really do thrive as a student - a passion for learning and an excitement to challenge yourself. I think you'll get an A+ with your newest challenge to "execute with excellence."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Britty! For reading my new blog endeavor and having confidence in my interests. I hope you will find future posts interesting and entertaining, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Georgia! As you know I used to be a big time blogger but had fallen off the wagon. But since leaving the time suck of social media behind, I find I'm ready to blog again. I'll be reading your blog faithfully! Bloggers of the Nichols family unite!

    ReplyDelete