Sunday, October 13, 2024

NATIVITY FESTIVAL



BACKGROUND OF POST




The editor of a life-style magazine in a neighboring city reached out to our local

 Church leaders in an attempt to find material for their Holiday/December edition

 about diverse religious groups in our area and now they celebrate the season..


   

In the course of their search for suitable candidates, my name and my biennial

 Nativity Festival came up.  I was contacted for possible inclusion in the magazine

 article.  I subsequently submitted pictures and a short essay about my beautiful

 collection of over 500 Nativity -related sets. 


Though the magazine was looking for something less specific than one person's

 celebration of Christmas, this invitation gave me an opportunity to give a short

 review of the background of my Christmas delight over the years.


WHY I CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS WITH A NATIVITY FESTIVAL 
AS AN EXPRESSION OF MY CHRISTMAS-KEEPING!

I was a young married woman with two little boys ages two and four when the

 Women’s Auxiliary in our Congregation invited me to teach a Christmas lesson

 about the birth of the Savior.  By the time I had studied for that assignment,

 including commentary about Mary and Joseph plus the art music and literature

 dedicated to the birth of Jesus, my idea of how to celebrate Christmas had

 completely changed.


Growing up I had been a Santa Claus kind of kid, focusing more on the presents

 and the parties with just a passing thought that we were supposed to be

 celebrating the advent of Christ.


After that transforming experience, it was my desire to have a beautiful Nativity

 set and make my focus the true meaning of Christmas.  But we were a young

 family with no money in the budget for something as splendid as that.  So, my

 husband went into the back yard, cut a small branch and made a stable out of

 twigs and bark.  We made people out of cardboard cones topped by painted

 beads for heads and let our toddlers help dress them in scraps from my sewing

 basket.  Then we raided the toy box, and put farm animals into the stable.  One

 of the Wisemen carried a screw covered in aluminum foil, another held a shiny

 piece of gold cardboard.  The third had a foil-wrapped bouillon cube for his

 offering.



We displayed that crude little Nativity set every Christmas for a long time until it

 became a family tradition.


Several years later our family had the fortuitous experience of living in Europe a

 couple of times.  When we returned from our adventures, we had many beautiful

 keepsakes as reminders of those wonderful opportunities with my husband’s

 work.  However, it is our Christmas collection from Sweden and Germany that

 have become the most prized reminders of our time abroad.


My first desire was to share those Christmas keepsakes with friends and

 neighbors, so I decided to invite them to come to our home and share the

 delightful Christmas experiences we had had through a display of our treasures.

  Among them were lovely Nativity sets. That was in the late 1980’s and continued

 in that same way for a few years.


But over the ensuing years as I collected additional Christmas Nativity sets during

 my own travels, the display expanded into a biennial Nativity Festival that fills our

 home every other year with only our lovely Nativity-related pieces that now

 number about 500. That includes Nativity decorations for three trees. Plus, I have

 been the happy recipient of many Nativity sets from friends who have gifted me

 with those special reminders from their travels around the world! 


Then I began to be more intentional about this sacred opportunity to bear

 testimony of Christ’s birth on that auspicious occasion so long ago.  An invitation

 to a broader audience seemed appropriate.  Hence, a flyer as specific invitation

 with dates and times our home would be open is delivered by hand—and now

 also through email and other social media—to a broader audience.  I have even

 put the flyers on the bulletin boards of local businesses with great success.


At a time when the sacred event of Christ’s birth is almost all but forgotten during

 the busy Christmas season, I am grateful for an occasion to celebrate Christ’s

 birth with the attention it deserves in our hectic world of Christmas elves and

 gnomes and woodland animals. 


I have sensed the same gratitude from the visitors who have come to our home to

 commemorate a genuine, Christ-centered Christmas with us.


That “ONE WONDERFUL NIGHT” of the Savior’s birth is truly a reason to rejoice!


Georgia Nichols 

Johnstown, Colorado

October 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment