Monday, April 29, 2024

STOP NO MORE!


STOP NO MORE !

Not everything has an explanation....

 In January of 2022 I shared that new stop signs had popped up in my neighborhood almost as quickly as the blink of an eye.  Still don't have a clue why they were put there in the first place.  And, truthfully, it took quite a while to get used to the idea of stopping in places where I once just meandered past to my final destination.

It pretty much happened like this...I drove to our chapel one morning like I had done hundreds of times before.  But on the way home I encountered some brand-new stop signs that hadn't been there about an hour before.

Fast forward a couple of years plus.  My husband and I drove out of the neighborhood as usual about 10 a.m. one morning a couple of weeks ago.  We spent a few hours doing something--I don't even remember what we had going on that day--but on the way home, after we had gone around the traffic circle at the one major intersection in the neighborhood, there was no longer any stop sign in the middle of the block on either side of the street.

What the heck!  

Just to check it out and make sure we were seeing correctly, we made a U-Turn and went back to the round-about.  This time we turned left instead of going straight.  We headed down Carlson Boulevard toward the chapel.  Sure enough, the two stop signs where Carlson Boulevard intersects Holden Lane were no longer there either!  It was as if some gremlin had come into Carlson Farm subdivision while we had been gone to reverse the trick that had been played on the residents a little more than two years before.  

Again, my question was "Why?" And then some more "Why?" "Why?" "Why?" s.   However, this time I was sure it was all a prank, and the stop signs would reappear.  Hopefully, though, in places that were more conducive to being of some help in avoiding reckless driving.

Well, a couple of weeks have now gone by.  No stop sign has reappeared anywhere in the neighborhood.  But, wouldn't you know it, I can't get my car to quit stopping at those invisible stop signs.  There must be something it can see that I can't!

In the beginning I had to concentrate about remembering to stop.  Now I have to concentrate about remembering to keep going past those former restrictions and NOT stop.

I found out it takes some work to break a habit.  Then it takes even MORE work to break the habit that replaced the first one.  It's just one big cycle.

Life is funny sometimes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment