Sunday, June 18, 2023

REFLECTIONS from a Sunday afternoon....


 I spent the afternoon perusing slender little journals of all sorts that I have written in over the past few years.  I like to do this now and then on Sundays when I choose to do--and read--different kinds of things from what I engage in on the other days of the week.  It is one way I can show my personal sign for honoring the Sabbath day.

One of those journals I reread today is titled "Oh, Happy Day", which my walking buddy Natasha gave me on my 75th birthday.  It is a little book of reminders to write down kindnesses from others, fond memories of varying experiences, an opportunity to express pleasure in simple everyday things, and a myriad of other subjects designed to help the reader/writer look outside the box for just a few minutes and jot a short thought.

Today, in addition to some long-forgotten entries, I found a quote about joy.  President Russel M. Nelson continually reminds us that we can find joy in any circumstance in life.  I know this is true, as I have found joy in singular experiences during some of the toughest times of my life.  In fact, I keep a little silver token on my bathroom counter that says simply, JOY.  A good reminder that there is bound to be something joyful during the course of my day.  And there usually is--when I keep my eyes wide open.

Here is a quote by David Steindl-Rast I particularly liked from this little journal.  It accompanied a suggestion to write something that a loved one had done for me lately--noting who it was and what they did for me.  I attest these are the kinds of things that bring joy.  Gratitude is a powerful attribute to make that happen.

It is not 

JOY 

that makes us

 GRATEFUL;  

it is 

GRATITUDE 

that makes us 

JOYFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment