Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The WISDOM in Proverbs...

 

 Proverbs....


I recently studied the book of Proverbs in the  Come Follow Me

curriculum for Sunday School for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day

 Saints.  It was an uplifting endeavor.


Proverbs is full of the familiar sayings that we still hear quoted

 frequently in our time, such as: “Train up a child in the way he should

 go, and he will not depart from it” and “A soft answer turneth away

 wrath” as well as “A Merry Heart Doeth Good Like a Medicine”.  That one

 has been a favorite of mine for a long time.


Attributed mostly to the writings of King Solomon, this is one of the

 books in the Old Testament that are referred to as “wisdom literature”.

  It’s almost like a manual of parental advice, words of wisdom for us to

 help us and our children navigate life.


Emily Belle Freeman said that 

“...this wisdom literature was written with a concept of “thinking through” which involves bringing in other opinions, reaching out to God for answers, and noticing the fruits of the decisions we’ve made.”

I could see that as I read Proverbs.  In the very first chapter of the book

 of Proverbs, are these words:

“My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother” (Proverbs 1:8).

So, as I was studying this book in the Old Testament and rereading some

 little gems I hadn’t thought of for years, I found myself also thinking

 about the words of wisdom my own parents imparted to me as I was

 growing up.

When I left to go to Brigham Young University, my dad said, “Now,

 Georgia, just because everyone there belongs to our Church doesn’t

 mean they believe the same.”  I scoffed.  “Oh, Dad!”  But it turned out

 he was right!  That was something I had to “think through” when I saw

 my roommates and other students doing things that I had been taught

 were clearly not part of living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Even watching

 them do something like housework or shopping on Sunday made me

 stop and look around to see what other people were doing and what

 other opinions people had about how to spend the Sabbath day.  I made

 a conscious decision to continue living the way I had been taught

 because I felt better, doing “Sunday” things on Sunday and staying

 away from what I had been taught were not “Sunday” things.  That

 brought peace for my week.


I remember one thing my mother requested when I was growing up was

 that I come home from playing with a friend at the reasonable time she

 had specified.  I didn’t always like that rule, and sometimes I would cal

l home and ask if I could stay longer.  I can’t think of too many times my

 mother said it was okay.  Usually she would reply, “Now is a good time

 to leave when you’re still having a pleasant time and enjoying each

 other’s company.  You’ll be better friends.”  And she was right, too.  Just

 like my dad had been.   Spending too much time together often led to

 quarrels and sometimes even sneaky behavior both my friends and I

 knew wasn’t the best idea. Again, it was checking out other people’s

 opinions and determining the consequences of the decisions I was

 making even when I got older, and I didn’t have my mother nearby

 suggesting that it really was time to come home at the specified hour. 

Both of these pieces of advice found their way into the way I parented

 my own children.  And THAT, is when I could really see the wisdom of

 my parents' humble teachings.

I’m sure you have similar experiences with the “wisdom literature” your

 parents shared with you and how you share some of that wisdom with

 your own children. 

In October 1983, Marion G. Romney who was a counselor to President

 Spencer W. Kimball in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ

 of Latter-day Saints said, “ … What we desperately need is to

 recognize and acquire that quality which converts knowledge

 into wisdom.”

Consequently, my invitation to you and to me is to think about the

 lessons from Proverbs and keep on “thinking through” everything that

 comes our way, check out other opinions, seek answers from God, and

 keep track of the results of the decisions we have made. If we do, we

 will acquire that quality which converts knowledge into wisdom.  Then

 we will be able to continue to share that wisdom with our family and

 others in order to better navigate life.


No comments:

Post a Comment