Sunday, July 19, 2020

CORRECTION!

My 69 year old niece Cynthia Eyre died a few days ago.  Her son Kyle asked me to give a 10 minute "Loving Memory" of her at the virtual funeral held for her yesterday in my hometown of Rawlins, Wyoming, where Cynthia lived for her entire life.

I was honored that Kyle would choose me to say a few personal words about Cynthia, but it has literally been years since I had even seen her.  I think at her dad's funeral in 1998 was the last time.

A flood of thoughts came to mind as I contemplated this assignment, one of which was, "What could I say that would be relevant since our association in later years was pretty nil?"  

So, I went to the family's personal history books and began to read.  As I perused those pages, images and memories surfaced until I could finally put to paper something that would reflect a small glimpse of Cynthia's early years as the first Huggins grand child...and my special place as aunt to a babe when I wasn't much more than a baby myself.

However, in that perusing of personal family histories, I found out that I had incorrectly related the story about my sister Marie's wedding in a blog I wrote in June 2019.

You might recall I wrote about our night stranded in the car during a horrendous flood-producing rainstorm and being rescued by the forest rangers the next morning then treated to a pancake breakfast at the nearby ranger station.

Only as I read, I realized I had put that event BEFORE Marie's wedding instead of AFTER the ceremony at the Idaho Falls Temple in June 1949.  By the time my parents and I, and possibly a couple of my sisters, had this hairy sleepover in the car, Marie and Keith were long gone on their honeymoon to the Black Hills.

Just wanted to set the record straight.  

Let this be a lesson to you:  DON'T GET OLD!  The old memory ain't what it used to be.  And THAT, dear Readers, is why we are admonished to WRITE DOWN and RECORD our personal history.  

I learned this little proverb years ago when I was teaching a lesson on journal writing.  Still holds true.

THE PALEST INK IS BETTER THAN THE STONGEST MEMORY....

No comments:

Post a Comment