Thursday, May 17, 2018

WORK! #52 STORIES OF ME...(week 13)

QUESTION:  WHO TAUGHT ME HOW TO WORK?  

      WHAT WOULD I WANT MY CHILDREN AND GRADCHILDREN TO LEARN   FROM MY EXAMPLE?


My mother and father taught me to work.  

I would like my children and grand people to learn from my example that work is a good thing.  

That there is satisfaction in a job well-done, and do whatever it takes to give their living space a feeling of welcoming rest and peace without clutter and mess.  And on Sundays, do what you need to do to make your home have that Sabbath feeling.

My mother taught me the homemaking arts, as well as an insight about how to accompany congregations, choirs, soloists and ensembles on the organ and piano.  And practicing the piano IS work!

Her most memorable phrase was "Clean the corners first.  After you do that, you will want to finish the job."  When we cleaned we removed everything off shelves, counters, and up from the floor.  We used clean rags and the appropriate cleaning agent  and water to rinse it clean.  Anything else was just "wiping up".   If it wasn't a day we could do "deep cleaning", she said we were giving the work a "lick and a promise. "Finish the job for the day.  No one wants to get up in the morning and face yesterday's work."  My mother never went to bed with dirty dishes in the sink, clothes or other items strewn about, or any other scenario that would make us feel uncomfortable because of mess.  Even when she was in the middle of a sewing or cooking project, she always straightened things up and made her work space look inviting for the next day.

My dad preached by teaching and by his example:  If you promised that you would do something, then you dang well better complete what it was you promised--or die trying!  
A full day's work for a fair day's wages.  His creed was integrity, hard work, and satisfaction in doing a good job.  

My parents were good teachers.                                                                                    I hope I can be considered a good learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment