Thursday, March 31, 2016

CONFESSIONS OF AN APHORISM ADDICT....

I've always been crazy about aphorisms, pithy little statements that can say so much in such an economy of words.  I began collecting them when I was growing up.  My scrapbooks and journals are full of quotes and sayings and all kinds of verses that have appealed to me over the years.  They have become like old friends, and I often reflect on their wisdom.

These little gems are sometimes in odd places, so I always carry a pad and a pen with me even when I go for a walk on my layovers.  I have often been rewarded for doing so because I can no longer remember a catchy phrase or a snappy sentence like I used to be able to do.

This one has been on my nightstand for the last several months.  Have no idea where I found it. But I jotted it on a notepad from Crowne Plaza Hotels and tucked it into my bag or my purse and promptly forgot about it until I was searching for some other scrap of something I needed.  By then the paper had been folded into such a twisted wad, it was ready to tear.  The writing was blurred, like it had been around some kind of liquid, and had even begun to fade.  So, I transferred the wad to my bedside so it would be visible and not end up "lost" again until I could decide what to do with it.  I have moved it myriad times while dusting, because since I quit writing the Newsletter I no longer have a folder for these little bits I used to like to share in that forum.  Frankly, though it was worth sharing, I didn't know what to do with it.

I had the day off today.  Didn't do a lick of housework, but spent my time writing letters and doing odd jobs here and there that relate to keeping my life organized in my calling and in my work life.  Don't have to do the bills until tomorrow when this loooong stretch of 15 days since my last paycheck is finally over.  Now I have an evening ahead of me to spend in a way that  gives me great pleasure--writing.  This is the night I am going to give that aphorism a permanent home on paper.  I liked its substance when I wrote it down, and I have reflected on it many times while it has been residing as a lone resident on my nightstand.  It has a particularly positive statement for me, who can dwell on things in the past with the best of those who see the glass half empty. 

And after all that wordy explanation, I will introduce my little gem with another one which I CAN recall word for word:  "Each day comes bringing its gifts.  Untie the ribbons!"

What a great segue for the sage advice I promised from that scrap of paper: "Don't ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday."

Good recommendations for all....

No comments:

Post a Comment